For specific application deadline dates, you should always check the OptomCAS Deadlines
Here is a timeline that you should consider prior to and while applying to optometry school.
Prior to Applying
- Gather Letters of Recommendation and open an Interfolio account to store the letters
- Continue with your volunteer, work, or research activities.
- Prepare for the OAT (Optometry Admission Test). Register and choose from several dates, but it is recommended you take it no later than each school’s OptomCAS deadline.
- Consult OptomCAS for each school’s prerequisites.
- Order and collect official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended.
June – August of the Application Cycle
- Should be taking the OAT or waiting for the release of your score from an earlier test. Taking earlier test dates can help avoid delays in your application.
- Confirm deadline dates for OptomCAS and optometry schools.
- OptomCAS application is available at the end of June.
- Have letters of recommendation sent to OptomCAS. OptomCAS accepts up to 4 letters.
- OptomCAS verifies primary application.
- Continue to work, volunteer, etc.
August – December of the Application Cycle
- OptomCAS begins releasing applications to schools in August.
- Practice interview questions using Big Interview
- Make a pre-health advising appointment for a Mock Interview.
December – April of the Application Cycle
- Continue sending in applications according to institutional deadlines.
- Complete each school’s supplemental applications by their specific deadline.
- Schools send out interview invitations and begin interviewing.
- Admission decisions are made and applicants are informed.