For specific application deadline dates, you should always check the OptomCAS Deadlines
Here is a timeline that you should consider prior to and while applying to optometry school.
Prior to Applying
- Gather Letters of Recommendation and open an Interfolio account to store the letters
- Continue with your volunteer, work, or research activities.
- Prepare for the OAT (Optometry Admission Test). Register and choose from several dates, but it is recommended you take it no later than each school’s OptomCAS deadline.
- Consult OptomCAS for each school’s prerequisites.
- Order and collect official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended.
June – August of the Application Cycle
- Should be taking the OAT or waiting for the release of your score from an earlier test. Taking earlier test dates can help avoid delays in your application.
- Confirm deadline dates for OptomCAS and optometry schools.
- OptomCAS application is available at the end of June.
- Have letters of recommendation sent to OptomCAS. OptomCAS accepts up to 4 letters.
- OptomCAS verifies primary application.
- Continue to work, volunteer, etc.
August – December of the Application Cycle
- OptomCAS begins releasing applications to schools in August.
- Practice interview questions using Big Interview
- Make a pre-health advising appointment for a Mock Interview.
December – April of the Application Cycle
- Continue sending in applications according to institutional deadlines.
- Complete each school’s supplemental applications by their specific deadline.
- Schools send out interview invitations and begin interviewing.
- Admission decisions are made and applicants are informed.
While many optometry schools use the OptomCAS application, each school has different deadline submission dates. It is important for you to know the deadline dates for the schools/programs that you plan to apply for as well as any requirements needed. OptomCAS has the most up-to-date list of participating schools. OptomCAS also provides a quick checklist to help with your application. It is important you still review the complete instructions.