Employer Services – On-Campus Interviews
The Career Center coordinates on-campus interviews for all undergraduates and most graduate students, except for a few professional programs. For specialized populations, including MBA and Law, refer to this list of recruiting contacts.
During the academic semesters, representatives from your organization can utilize space at the Career Center to interview students for full-time positions and paid internships. OCI is available to employers across all sectors, but is commonly used by private industry in the areas of investment banking, consulting, finance, accounting, engineering, and high tech.
Fall 2023 OCI starts on September 5 and ends on November 9. Spring 2024 OCI starts on January 23 and ends on April 25. View the Academic & Recruiting calendar to help you plan your dates. We encourage you to consult with Employer Relations staff to strategize the best dates that will align with your other campus activities.
- Preselect In-person Interviews: This is the most popular option. Use our pre-built schedules and the Handshake tool to allow students to select their own timeslots
- Room Only in-person interviews: Schedule your own interviews with candidates you have sourced from Handshake, career fairs or your other campus events
- Preselect Virtual Interviews: Use our pre-built schedules and the Handshake tool to allow students to select their own timeslots; you are required to provide an external virtual interview link and notify students
How OCI Works
- Request interview date(s) via Handshake
- Your date(s) will be approved within 2 business days (steps 3-6 below apply to preselect only)
- Add your job(s) in Handshake and attach them to your interview schedule (optional for room only)
- Students apply for jobs during a specified time period
- You review candidates and invite them via Handshake
- Students sign up via Handshake
Request an Interview Date
To request on-campus interview dates via Handshake:
- Current Users: If you have a Handshake account at our school, you may already have access to request schedules. If not, contact us to have that role assigned
- New Users: Go to the Handshake log in page to create an account. This Handshake article provides step-by-step instructions. Once your account has been approved, contact us to have that role assigned
- Select Request an Interview on the main page and follow the prompts. Review this Handshake article, How to Request an Interview Schedule at a School for assistance.
OCI Employer FAQs
- How do I change the application deadline for my jobs?
Only Employer Relations Staff can change the APPLY END date for jobs linked to your interview schedule. The application period opens 60 days before the interview date and closes 17 days before the interview date. If you wish to change the deadline to align with other campus activities, e.g. your information session or a career fair, contact us.
- How do I attach multiple jobs to my schedule?
There is no limit to the number of positions you can attach to your schedule, but you can only attach one position at a time. On the interview schedule page, click on the attach a job button. Follow the instructions, save your action, and repeat this process for each job you need to attach. Read this Handshake article, How to Add a Job to an Interview Schedule, for assistance.
- Can I interview candidates who did not apply via Handshake?
Yes. If they are current UC Berkeley students or alumni of up to five years, they have access to Handshake. All students and recent graduates will have an existing account. If the APPLY END has passed, you can search for their names in Handshake, add them to the job, and set their status as primary or alternate. Many employers meet students at career fairs, information sessions or other campus events. Read this Handshake article, How to Manually Add an Applicant to an Interview Schedule for assistance.
- How do I customize my preselect schedule?
You may select jobs and interview groups to associate with specific slots/rooms, and mark slots as unavailable so that no student can take that slot. From the interview schedule page, select the slots you wish to edit and click on Bulk Edit Slots. A popup window will appear where you can make edits. If you need to change your interview date(s), number of rooms, or the schedule set-up, you must contact us. We will accommodate requests, when possible, but know that we allow Interviews to take place between 9:00am and 4:30pm only.
- If I am scheduling my own interviews, where do I send a copy of my schedule?
Send your schedule to email@example.com at least one day prior to the interview date. Please send the schedule in a printable format, preferably Word or Excel, and include the company name, interview date, interviewer name, student name, and interview time. Do not include any candidate personal information such as phone number or email as we will use the schedule for check-in at the reception desk. Note that interviews must be scheduled between 9:00am and 4:30pm only.
- Where can I find directions to the Career Center and where do I park?
You'll find directions to the Career Center and parking information in the Travel to Berkeley section of our web site. We are unable to provide parking at the Career Center. You must use City of Berkeley public parking lots, BART, or a ride sharing service.
- Where do I check in for interviews?
Interviews occur at the Career Center, 2440 Bancroft Way, 2nd Floor, in Berkeley (between Dana Street and Telegraph Avenue across from Sproul Plaza and the MLK Jr. Student Union). Check in on the 2nd floor in Room 200, main reception, no earlier than 8:30am. Representatives may stay until 5:00pm to wrap up and debrief.
- Where do I ship recruiting materials?
Ship materials to be distributed on the interview date to:
Attn: Employer Relations
University of California, Berkeley
2440 Bancroft Way, 2nd Floor, Suite 204
Berkeley, CA 94720-4350
Write your company name, interview date, and "Hold for Interviewers" on all boxes.
- Whom do I contact if I'm running late?
Call the Recruiting Receptionist on the interview day at 510-642-6379. If the line is busy, call Employer Relations at 510-642-0464.
- Does the Career Center provide lunch?
We do not provide meals. However, we do provide coffee, tea, water, and light snacks. You can work with the Receptionist to have lunch delivered.