Gaining Relevant Experience
- Shadow or observe a veterinarian
- Apply for an Externship with a Cal Alum through the Career Center’s Externship program (when available).
- Ask your family veterinarian if there is an opportunity to shadow their practice during a school break.
Search for veterinarians through Veterinary related Professional Organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Join the Cal Pre-Vet Club and learn more about the club.
- Here are some animal-related organizations where students have gained experience in the past.
- Lindsay Wildlife (Volunteer)
- Lindsay Wildlife (Internships)
- Oakland Zoo (Animal Care Internships)
- Oakland Zoo (Animal Care Volunteer)
- Oakland Zoo (Conservation Volunteer)
- Aquarium of the Bay
- Marine Mammal Center
- California Wolf Center
- Bay Area Puma Project
- Things That Creep
- East Bay Vivarium
- Animal Place
- California Academy of Sciences
- Find a healthcare-related Internship
Getting exposure to the veterinary profession can make you a competitive applicant and help you begin to identify what skills, values, and interests you enjoy in this profession.